override local port

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Thu Feb 2 13:31:11 UTC 2017

On 2 February 2017 at 09:17, db wrote:
> How can I override a local portfile without deleting it? I want to keep some ports locally, for example, after I submitted a new, locally tested port that made it in the repo, or when I want to keep an older portfile until I fully tested the latest version of an application.

You can set up multiple local repositories. If you add the second
local repository on top (with a higher preference), that other
repository will "override" the first one (in case both contain the
same port).

One option is that you set up a local repository that consist just of
symlinks. If you want to remove a port, you just delete the symlink
and the original stays untouched where it was.

One option is to use git manipulations (different branches and then
switching between them, merging them, cherry-picking changes, going
back to history, ...)

Mojca