Will using only dolphin be too much overhead?

Dorien Herremans dorien.herremans at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 15:21:43 UTC 2017

down votefavorite
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41994127/will-running-dolphin-file-manager-on-osx-cause-a-lot-of-overhead#>

I am struggling with Finder after switching to Mac from linux. Dolphin was
just a much more powerful file manager.

Features I miss: - easily editable URL to navigate (although fixed that
with Finder Path). - embedded terminal window (very important to me) - tree
view - ability to navigate easily without using the mouse - stay on top
feature by KDE window manager

I've tried Double Commander, but I still don't find it very intuitive, e.g.
see no way to just type/edit the url to where I want to go.

So I did read
<https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-users/2010-May/020074.html> that
I could run Dolphin via Macports:

dolphin is a rather nice file browser. the impression that i get from here
http://dolphin.kde.org/is that one is to install kdebase4. done. so where
is dolphin?

According to "port contents kdebase4 | grep -i dolphin", there is a
dolphin.app in /Applications/MacPorts/KDE4.

My question though: If I have to install kdebase4, doesn't that mean a huge
amount of overhead just for a file manager? Will it actually run X? Does
the installation command above install the whole thing?

--
Dorien Herremans, PhD
Marie-Curie Fellow

Queen Mary University of London
School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science
C4DM - Centre for Digital Music, London

Workshop on Deep Learning and Music <http://dorienherremans.com/dlm2017>,
May'17 Anchorage, Alaska.