Will using only dolphin be too much overhead?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 9 14:04:57 UTC 2017

On Feb 9, 2017, at 06:59, Dorien Herremans wrote:

> Thanks, I think it was indeed the space missing. However, the install is still complaining:
>
> >> sudo port install gtk2 +11
> Error: Failed to archivefetch gtkmm: gtk2 must be installed with +quartz.
>
> So I tried:
>
> >> sudo port install gtk2 +x11 +quartz
>
> Error: gtk2: Variant quartz conflicts with x11
>
> Error: Unable to open port: Error evaluating variants

gtk2 can't be installed with both +x11 and +quartz. You have to choose one or the other. And the decision about whether you want to use +x11 or +quartz, for those ports that offer this choice, really needs to be made for all your ports before you've installed any ports.

It seems that you had already previously made the choice to go with +quartz, but have now run into a port that doesn't work with +quartz and requires +x11. Attempting to fix that problem by reinstalling individual ports with +x11 is likely to lead to a series of problems, as you are discovering. You can either uninstall all ports and reinstall with +x11, or you could add a second MacPorts installation so that you have one that uses +quartz and one that uses +x11. If you do this, it would be advantageous for /opt/local to be the one that uses +x11, since that's the default and is what we build binaries for. Then you could have a second installation elsewhere for +quartz which you would have to build from source.