OpenSSH failing to build against LibreSSL 2.4.5

Lee Bast x-lists at asgarda.com
Fri Feb 10 22:11:10 UTC 2017

Good day,
	I've just been trying to do a new setup of a freshly installed system (macOS 10.12.3, Xcode 8.2.1) with MacPorts with just libressl and python installed so far, but cannot install openssh with libressl. I have verified this on two separate machines. Starting from scratch with nothing installed, port installing openssh alone (which calls openssl) succeeds, but first installing libressl (and only libressl) and then attempting the same port install of openssh fails. main.log and config.log attached, though one relevant error might be:

> 1084 :info:configure checking whether getpgrp requires zero arguments... yes
> 1085 :info:configure checking OpenSSL header version... not found
> 1086 :info:configure configure: error: OpenSSL version header not found.
> 1087 :info:configure Command failed:  cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macpo     rts_release_tarballs_ports_net_openssh/openssh/work/openssh-7.3p1" && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --with-ssl-dir=/opt/l     ocal --sysconfdir=/opt/local/etc/ssh --with-privsep-path=/var/empty --with-md5-passwords --with-pid-dir=/opt/local/var/run      --with-pam --mandir=/opt/local/share/man --with-zlib=/opt/local --with-libedit --with-pie --with-xauth=/opt/local/bin/xauth      --with-kerberos5=/opt/local --with-4in6 --with-audit=bsm --with-keychain=apple --disable-utmp --disable-wtmp --with-privse     p-user=_sshd --with-ldns
> 1088 :info:configure Exit code: 1
> 1089 :error:configure Failed to configure openssh, consult /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.m     acports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_net_openssh/openssh/work/openssh-7.3p1/config.log
> 1090 :error:configure Failed to configure openssh: configure failure: command execution failed
> 1091 :debug:configure Error code: NONE
> 1092 :debug:configure Backtrace: configure failure: command execution failed
> 1093 :debug:configure     while executing
> 1094 :debug:configure "$procedure $targetname"
> 1095 :error:configure See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_net_openssh/openssh/main.log for details.

I haven't been able to diagnose a solution beyond simply not using LibreSSL at all, which isn't really ideal. I found a few general references to this header error issue on other platforms over the last few years that came from LibreSSL/OpenSSL not being compiled as a position-independent library (using -fPIC) and OpenSSH thus having trouble linking (see http://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/INSTALL ), and MacPorts' OpenSSH portfile does specifically have --with-pie as it should. I didn't see fPIC called explicitly in the libressl portfile, and I wasn't sure if it was bringing in that for CFLAGS from a default somewhere. The MacPorts guide (https://guide.macports.org/chunked//reference.phases.html) seems to indicate that the only default for configure.cflags is using the default optflags, which is just -O2. However, I tried to test it by making a customized local portfile to test (just duplicating the libressl portfile and adding configure.cflags-append -fPIC) with no success, so this may have nothing to do with it despite similar symptoms.

I don't recall seeing this before, and I think at least that MacPorts in general is supposed to be able to use LibreSSL? Is anyone else seeing this or have any suggestions to try next?

Appreciate any thoughts,
Lee