Rescuing a Macports file from Time Machine

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 14:42:20 UTC 2017

On 23/02/17 14:38, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> Let's say that I accidentally lost a critical Macports file (don't ask).
> How would I recover it with Time Machine?  It seems that my only options
> are to recover an arbitrary file within my home directory, or to restore
> the entire Mac, thereby making the whole Time Machine concept about as
> useful as an ashtray on a motorbike...

Not so.

By default (i.e. unless you explicitly blacklisted a location) TM backs
up the entire system. So first, check in your TM preferences to make
sure you have not done this.

If not, then go to in terminal

/opt

assuming that is your macports prefix.

Run 'open .' which will start finder in that area, and then activate TM.

Chris