gmp's archive_site in Portfile disables custom archive_sites

Peter Brommer p.brommer at warwick.ac.uk
Thu Jan 5 21:46:24 UTC 2017

Hi Chris,

thanks for your reply.

> On 5 Jan 2017, at 16:08, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> Presumably the first machine, that creates the local binaries runs just fine, but then the second doesn't use these for this one port, and attempts to build again from source ? If correct, is this really a problem ? From the discussion in the ticket this is exactly what is wanted for this port, as it compiles very specifically for the machine it is to be used on. You *want* it to therefore build from source on each and every machine.

Yes, that indeed is not ideal, but probably necessary for this port. I don’t object to this.

The point is that after doing that, macports has “forgotten” about my local source for all further ports to upgrade and falls back to the default macports source. It’s not a big issue indeed (as cancelling and restarting the port upgrade outdated fixes it), but it might be a symptom of a bug, which I don’t have the energy to track down.

Unfortunately, after I noticed this behaviour (not using my private archive site as first instance), I aborted the operation, before I got to a port where binaries are not available from macports. So I don’t know if it just got the priorities wrong (using default macports binaries before local archive), or had forgotten about my archive sites completely.

Sorry for not making this clearer initially, I hope you see my point now.

Peter