gmp's archive_site in Portfile disables custom archive_sites

Peter Brommer p.brommer at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Jan 6 08:19:05 UTC 2017

> On 5 Jan 2017, at 23:16, Christopher Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

[..]
> One last question, just a thought, but what exactly are you aiming to gain from this setup ? most ports have binaries available direct from macports. I have multiple machines and have never really had any issues with just letting each do its own thing. Are you looking to save downloads, or CPU time building those ports without upstream binaries, or … ? Just seems to me a complicated setup for little return.

Well, one of the two is a Mac Book Air with limited disk space. And this setup lets me avoid a full Xcode installation on the MBA. As to why I need it: I prefer quartz over x11, and those binaries are rarely available upstream. And unfortunately some packages will not compile with command line tools only. So it’s me insisting on custom variants on a small hard drive that necessitates this manoeuvre (also, packages like gtk3 and inkscape take literally AGES to compile).

Peter