Migration issue

Russell Jones russell.jones at physics.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 6 14:49:07 CET 2017

On 06/01/17 14:28, Adam Dershowitz wrote:

> > On Jan 6, 2017, at 9:04 AM, Russell Jones
> <russell.jones at physics.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On 06/01/17 13:22, Adam Dershowitz wrote:
> activated without any error.
> you have anything installed that required py27-numpy to be universal,
> it will now be broken.
> archs='x86_64'

> +universal variant.
> without complaint.  So, I really don’t understand why the +universal
> got built at all.
> port is installed universal, which are:

> 64-bit machine, and the other port depends on this port (You can check
> if the other port says "supported_archs i386 ppc" (or the other way
> around))
> universal variant to be used (You can check the portfile to see if
> "default_variants +universal" appears)
> >> What seems really odd to me that I took I moved my myports.txt from
> one machine to another.  So, I used one machine to generate that list,
> and brought it to another machine to build.
> >> Both are MacBook pros (one new and one old) and that same list, on
> the new machine, added a bunch of universal ports.  So, I don’t see
> how any of the items in the list above could do that.  If it was not
> universal on the old machine, why would it end up universal on the new
> machine?
> >> Could going from 10.11 to 10.12 make something required to be
> universal?  Or could going from Xcode 7 to 8 make a port universal?
> Because otherwise, I just don’t see why they should be different.
> >> If anything, I would expect that the newer OS and newer hardware
> should be able to do more things as 64 bit, so would require less
> universal stuff.
> >>
> >> —Adam
> > Could you gzip and attach the list of ports from the old machine and
> the output of "port installed requested"?
> >
> > The approach I suggested can't work, I now realize, as variants
> aren't used for working out dependencies (
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#dependonvariant )
> >
> > Russell
> >

> Here are the two files.
>
> I don’t believe that I have ever intentionally installed anything
> +universal.  So, I’m fairly sure that anything in this list that is
> universal is because of 3, or 4 above. But, when I then moved to the
> new machine, it proceeded to make a bunch more things universal.
>
> As far as I’m concerned pretty much all of my ports should just be
> installed with default variants, so few, if any, should be universal.
> As everything is now working, this is not a big deal.  But, it does
> mean that upgrades often must be built, instead of using the binary,
> which would be much faster and use less drive space.
>

> thanks,
>
> —Adam
It looks like the extra +universal stuff comes from the things that were
marked +universal installing all their dependencies +universal, which is
expected behaviour. It looks like the restore script just installs the
things listed in the order given, so doesn't preserve the variants
exactly (+universal satisfies a request to install with no variants, I
think, though I'm unsure). You could search and replace +universal (i.e.
remove all instances of it) in myports, then tear-down and redo the
install, I guess.

Russell