Inkscape 0.92.0 now available on MacPorts

Murray Eisenberg murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 18:31:05 CET 2017

I have latest (2..7.11) XQuartz installed under macOS Sierra (10.12.2). I installed inkscape+quartz and insckape-app. When I either run inkscape from Terminal command line or from inkscape.app created by the latter, I see the XQiartz icon repeatedly appear and bounce in my Dock and then disappear. But I never see an Inkscape window.

How to fix?

(I did read the exchange shown below, but that just further confused things for me!)

> On6 Jan 2017 16:33:51 -0800,David Evans <devans at macports.org <mailto:devans at macports.org>> wrote:
>
> ...Many of your issues have already been addressed but since there were some misunderstandings at one point or another,
> I'll attempt to answer more clearly:
>
> On 1/5/17 2:41 PM, Eneko Gotzon wrote:
>> ​Hi all Byte Riders… :)​
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 12:32 AM, David Evans <devans at macports.org <mailto:devans at macports.org> <mailto:devans at macports.org <mailto:devans at macports.org>>> wrote:
>>
>>    Inkscape 0.92.0 is available both as an X11 and native Quartz build.
>>

>> ​Sorry  about this kind of questions…
>>
>> My MacPorts system has installed the inkscape @0.92.0_0+x11 port. It seems a better choice to switch to the native
>> XQuartz version.
>
> If you have the +x11 version of inkscape installed it should run fine if you the XQuartz X11 server or equivalent installed.
>
> If you don't want to use X11 then you should install inkscape +quartz.  The XQuartz server will no longer be necessary.
>

>> Please, what is the best procedure to get that done: first uninstall the x11 version of the port (and, maybe, its
>> following dependencies) and then install the XQuartz one?
>
> Maybe not uninstall but at least deactivate them and then install inkscape +quartz.  If this version is installed it
> will use Mac OS X native graphics instead of X11 for display.
>
> In either case, to run inkscape, just type it's name on the command line in the terminal  or if you want a more Mac like
> app to launch it from an icon on the desktop, install inkscape-app.
>
> This second port is just a shell that will launch inkscape for you and works with either variant.  It installs in
> /Applications/MacPorts/Inkscape.app.
>

>> Same procedure to switch from X11 gimp2 to the XQuartz version?
>
> Yes, same procedure if you want to go from the X11 version to the native quartz version. Similarly, gimp-app is
> available if you want to launch from an icon on the desktop.
>
> Hope that clears things up for you.

---
Murray Eisenberg			murrayeisenberg at gmail.com
503 King Farm Blvd #101	Home (240)-246-7240
Rockville, MD 20850-6667	Mobile (413)-427-5334