PowerMac download statistics?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Jan 8 14:47:19 UTC 2017

On 2017-01-06 23:33, Clemens Lang wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 04:48:37PM -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> I'm looking for statistics on the number of Macports users and the
>> number of PowerMac users.
>>
>> Does MacPorts track the statistics? If so, are they publicly
>> available?
>
> I think portmgr@ has access to our CDN's statistics, which is probably
> the best resource to figure this out.

The CDN itself only offers some basic statistics like Top 50 files
downloaded. To get something like downloads per OS version, we would
need to process the raw logs (available via API for last five days).
If anyone is interested in working on this, we could figure out a way to
extract anonymized logs for processing.

Another thing we might consider would be including the OS version into
the user agent string in our libcurl wrapper in Pextlib1.0. That would
make it easier to filter instead of matching on the requested resource
path while excluding bots and crawlers.

Rainer