py26-numpy at 1.12.0_0+gfortran build fails on 10.11

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Jan 23 13:40:42 UTC 2017

> On Jan 23, 2017, at 07:36, Richard L. Hamilton <rlhamil at smart.net> wrote:
>
> Thanks - now it's no longer trying to update to an unsupported version.
>
> For those newly installing the package (whether from source or binary), would it be possible to have (the Portfile?) provide an install-time message warning that there are no further upstream updates expected past 1.11.3?  While there can be occasional needs for old versions, people should probably be reminded when they're unsupported, so that they can evaluate the need vs risk of un-patched security issues.

There are many other ports in MacPorts (including other python modules and php modules) that provide old versions that are no longer updated, and we don't have a mechanism in place to notify users of any of that.

We could use the "notes" mechanism to add a note to those ports. Of course, users who already have the latest version of the software installed will never see that note. Only users who initially install that software, or upgrade to that version, will see it, or users who manually decide to run "port notes" on that port. So I'm not sure how useful this would be.