attach a diff or request a pull?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sat Jul 1 17:39:19 UTC 2017

On 1 July 2017 at 18:01, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jul 1, 2017, at 09:01, Jan Stary wrote:
>
>> There seem to be two way to send a patch to a port:
>>
>>  1. create a ticket in trac and attach a diff
>>  2. create a pull request on github
>>
>> Is any of the two preferred by the MP developers?
>
> I would say to whatever you're most comfortable with. I personally deal better with patchfiles, but most other developers are probably happy with pull requests too.

One advantage of a pull request is that there's now an automated build
running after you submit it and it's slightly easier to discuss the
code line-by-line when needed.

And that there are currently slightly above 30 open pull requests,
while there are thousands open trac tickets, so PRs probably get
slightly more visibility.

But either option is fine and if you don't get feedback in 3 days, you
can ask on the mailing list to get more attention.

Mojca