Mac port error

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Thu Jun 22 17:12:01 UTC 2017

> On Jun 22, 2017, at 12:13 PM, Simone Poli <simone.poli.01 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> dear mac port users, I’ve just installed mac port, but no commando can be executed on it, not even the sudo self update, no action is recognised:
>
> MacBook-Pro-di-nicola-travaglia:/ SimonePoli$ port
> MacPorts 2.4.1
> Entering shell mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)
> [/] > sudo
> Error: Unrecognized action "port sudo"
> [/] >

Hi Simone:

Looks like you just need to enter your command on a single line in the Terminal.  Try:

sudo port selfupdate

Copy, then paste all three words into the Terminal and finally press Return.  You will then be prompted to enter your password.  Enter your admin password; the same password that you used to install the MacPorts software.   You should then see some messages printed that describe the various steps that the ‘selfupdate’ command goes through.  Some of the steps may take a minute or two to finish.  If all goes well, the command prompt in Terminal will be printed and will wait for you to enter the next command.

Official documentation is at:

https://guide.macports.org/#using

> I would like to ask also if the mac port platform could be used as a virtual computer with the Lnux shell on it.

I’m not sure what you mean by this.  MacPorts makes several thousand software packages ("ports”) available on Mac OS X  Most of them were developed on the Linux operating system.  OS X is derived from unix, as is Linux, and therefore the operating systems share a fair bit in common.

If you could tell us more specifically what you want to do, perhaps we could suggest particular ports to install.

Craig