Migration Assistant moved MacPorts home directories

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Mar 1 23:37:49 UTC 2017

> On Mar 1, 2017, at 17:34, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> I'm not talking about an unusual case. I'm talking about the completely normal case that I expect all users will undergo when moving to a new computer: complete the setup assistant and use it to transfer data from their old computer. If they accept the defaults of that operation, as I did, they are left in the situation I am now left in.
>
> But there's not a lot that MacPorts can do about Apple's defaults,

Obviously.

> and after the fact it's a bit difficult to try to undo the damage it does.

So what should I do?

I don't believe following the migration instructions now will do anything other than waste a lot of time. Reinstalling MacPorts will recreate the home directory in the usual place, but will not edit the user account to have the correct NFSHomeDirectory. Uninstalling all ports will not remove the user accounts those ports might have created, nor will it touch their home directories. Reinstalling the ports will not alter those user accounts' NFSHomeDirectory setting either.