Migration Assistant moved MacPorts home directories

mf2k at macports.org mf2k at macports.org
Fri Mar 3 17:47:56 UTC 2017

> On Mar 2, 2017, at 8:08 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

>>> I have used migration assistant with the approach I mentioned, I migrated only my “home” account and followed the MacPorts migration instructions. If I ended up with broken ports I yet to notice. Perhaps we could register the accounts port creates along with file permissions and provide “fix permissions” functionality similar to Disk Utility.
>>
>> I have used the Migration Assistant many times. I too only ever migrate the real user account(s) I am interested in. I do not migrate those system level accounts.
>
> I guess that answers one of my questions: By unchecking those checkboxes next to those accounts/directories, you're saying that neither the account nor its home directory get migrated?

Correct.

> Did you verify whether any of those accounts owned any other files -- logfiles, directories, for example -- and what happened to them after you reinstalled those ports on the new system, presumably resulting in those accounts now having different ids?

macOS has on the order of a million files on a computer. I can’t keep track of every single one, or even a small percentage of them.

So, I have never bothered to check. I don’t know a way to determine which files exist per user account anyway. I only ever migrate specific user folders, so I assume only those users' files get transferred. Since I reinstall Macports from scratch on new machines, I don’t want any of those other files anyway.

Cheers!
Frank