fail to destroot port with only makefile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Mar 7 19:00:27 UTC 2017

On Mar 7, 2017, at 12:37, db wrote:

> On 7 Mar 2017, at 17:29, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> The Makefile does not support DESTDIR. Ideally, fix the Makefile to support DESTDIR and submit that to the developers.
>
> MacPorts Guide links to http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/DESTDIR.html, where it states 'You should not set the value of DESTDIR in your Makefile at all'.

That's correct, the Makefile should not set DESTDIR at all, but it should do the right thing if the user running the Makefile sets it; this Makefile does not and should be fixed.

> Eventually, I used
> destroot.args        prefix=${destroot}${prefix}

That can be an acceptable workaround. Sometimes it has side effects. I don't know if it does with this port.

>> This question is better asked on macports-dev, since it's about developing ports, not using existing ports.
>
> Sorry, I thought macports-dev was for MacPorts devs only. It's not very practical, I'd rather get mail from topics I start, reply to or am interested in, instead of being subscribed to 2 lists.

If you're writing a Portfile, you're a MacPorts dev.