python development environment on a mac

Kendall Shaw kshaw at kendallshaw.com
Wed Mar 15 02:42:28 UTC 2017

On 03/13/2017 06:28 AM, macports at parvis.nl wrote:

> my son needs for his music studies a python development environment 2.7.13 plus the actual 3.x.
> his imac is on osx 10.11 el capitan.

> the big question: please explain to me the relation between macports python/ipython/pip/virtualenv and how i should use it? when & how macports, when & how not, why???

I can offer some information that isn't macports specific.

In some unspecified OS packaging system that includes python and python
packages within it's own package management system, without using
packages installed using the python package management system, you would
be installing packages  system wide which would have updates available
when updates were available in the OS package management system, with
the cascading dependencies associated with that.

In that scenario, your python project would work for you because of the
state of your OS. If you then shared the source with someone else they
would have to try to make their system match your OS environment
sufficiently to have the same python modules available.

pip is  a tool for interacting with a python package management system:

https://packaging.python.org/

Python packages, generally, will make available python modules which a
python project will import.

When it is used as part of a software project it implies that you would
organize your python software package in a way that it is compatible
with a standard which makes it easy for people to know how to configure
and build your project and to incorporate it into their projects.

virtualenv allows you to isolate your projects from each other and from
a surrounding python system. So, for example, 1 project that has a
dependency  that is incompatible with a dependency in another project
can still work since they are isolated from each other.

Kendall