Prevent MacPorts editing .bash_profile over and over again...

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Mar 21 15:29:03 UTC 2017

On Mar 21, 2017, at 9:30 AM, Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz> wrote:
> I appreciate you concern about being spammed with trivia.
> But it's one line in ~/.profile, which is equally trivial.

While I agree with you in principle (see list archives where I disagreed with adding this to the installer way back when it was first introduced) - Ryan is right that we used to get lots of support requests where people apparently weren't capable of reading the instructions and updating their $PATH themselves.

Our actual experience around this issue tells us that it's worse to not try to set $PATH in the installer.

> I find mangling the user's shell configuration worse:
> someone who uses macports to install software
> is capable of editing one line in their config if told so.

users who are smart enough to edit their configs are also smart enough to install from source (where you don't have this issue at all).

--
Daniel J. Luke