all compilers blacklisted or unavailable

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Tue Mar 21 21:03:20 UTC 2017

On Mar 21 14:43:12, allbery.b at gmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 4:37 AM, Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz> wrote:
>
> > Why are they unavailable? The gcc and clang from Xcode work just fine.
>

> "Works for random stuff I tried it on" does not guarantee it doesn't throw
> spurious errors or even produce broken programs in specific cases (which is
> to say, most compilers have bugs, but you only run into them in certain
> cases). Compilers get blacklisted for specific ports when they have been
> found to be incapable of building that port properly.

I don't doubt that compilers throw errors or even produce broken code.
But which specific compilers are blacklisted for which specific reasons
when building sox, specifically? I don't see anything compiler-related
in the sox's Portfile.

Looking at the output of port -v -d install sox:

DEBUG: compiler clang 77 blacklisted because it matches {clang < 503}
DEBUG: compiler clang 77 blacklisted because it matches {clang < 500}
DEBUG: compiler clang 77 blacklisted because it matches {clang < 500}
Warning: All compilers are either blacklisted or unavailable; defaulting to first fallback option
Warning: All compilers are either blacklisted or unavailable; defaulting to first fallback option

That does not look like a specific reason why clang fails to build sox properly.
Does that mean clang < 500 (as installed by Xcode 3.2.6) is blacklisted as such,
for building any port?

Even if so, why are "all compilers blacklisted" after clang has been ruled out?

	Jan