Prevent MacPorts editing .bash_profile over and over again...

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 10:41:40 UTC 2017

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 5:48 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> On Mar 21, 2017, at 18:21, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 7:18 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> >> vim $(port logfile thePort)
> >
> > ...and the port you installed will usually get expanded with <esc>.
> (bash/zsh, in default emacs mode) so you don't even need to type that :)
>
> I'm not aware of this. Can you explain how to make this work?

That was a little unclear... escape key followed by period.

> You mention "emacs mode"... I don't know what that is.

Unless you're disabling it for some reason, you have advanced line editing,
generally via readline. (If the arrow keys work for history, you have it.)

If control-p / control-n goes through history, you are in emacs mode.
If pressing <esc> then using j and k goes through history, you are in vi
mode.

(It turns out that, for whatever reason, readline doesn't bind
yank-last-arg in vi mode. :/ http://jasonwryan.com/blog/2011/12/01/readline/
 )