Prevent MacPorts editing .bash_profile over and over again...

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 22 13:43:46 UTC 2017

> On 22 Mar 2017, at 1:32 pm, Jan Stary <hans at stare.cz> wrote:
>
> On Mar 22 12:53:15, raimue at macports.org wrote:
>> On 2017-03-21 21:43, Jan Stary wrote:
>>> +echo "Remember to set your environment:"
>>> +echo "Prepend ${BINPATH} and ${SBINPATH} to PATH."
>>> +echo "Prepend ${MANPAGES} to MANPATH if you use MANPATH."
>>> +echo "Remember to set DISPLAY if you are on 10.4 or older."
>>> +echo "See https://guide.macports.org/#installing.shell for details."
>>
>> Where do you think users would see this?
>
> The same place where all the other echo's go.
>
>> I am quite sure the installer
>> does not show any output of the postflight script.
>
> Does it go to a log?

Frankly, it does not matter where the message may or may not go. It could be flashed on the screen in huge red letters, some users will still ignore it and then complain that MacPorts does not work because $prefix is not in their paths…

This is why a proposal to remove this from the installer is (IMHO) a non starter. Now, if you where instead to propose extending the installer with a page, that clearly explained why editing the users path is needed, and offered an option to opt out (the default would have to stay yes) then I think you stand a better chance of getting something included. But as it stands just removing this feature isn’t going to fly, in my view.

Chris