building from source with libc++

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Mar 28 11:15:57 UTC 2017

On 2017-03-28 11:00, db wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2017, at 11:12, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
>> Dealbreaker:
>>    https://trac.macports.org/ticket/50448
>
> Thanks for pointing that out. I skimmed through it.
>
> What's the actual state re libc++ binaries for <10.9?

The support in base is missing to differentiate between binary archives
with a different cxx_stdlib. That is required to provide an upgrade path
for existing installations.

> Is dropping support for <10.9 something MP team is considering?

Any version of macOS older than 10.9 Mavericks is considered legacy
already. This means we do not expect maintainers to actively look into
fixing issues, but submitted patches should be accepted and applied as
long as they do not break functionality for later versions.

> As a 10.8-user, MP is for me one motive to still use Apple's platform, or at least, delay moving completely to Linux.

I have personally no interest in supporting legacy systems.
However, I am willing to give guidance and review patches for that.

Rainer