Trac does not see /opt for attaching files

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Tue May 16 00:22:37 UTC 2017

> On May 15, 2017, at 7:57 PM, Lenore Horner <LenoreHorner at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>>> /opt (and other things like files beginning with . /Library) are hidden by the OS by default but it’s pretty easy to find instructions on how to turn the hiding off or make a script to toggle hiding.  My guess is Ryan turned the hiding off entirely on his system.
>>>

>> /opt is visible on all the systems I've checked, even those that are not configured to show invisible items.
>>
>> The OS does not have any idea what /opt is or that it should be hidden, unless someone told it to be that way. Apple for example told /Library to be that way as of Lion. I thought we made /opt hidden, but I can't find any evidence of that now.
>>
> /opt is not visible on my system (I usually us cmd-shift-G) even though files I have set the hidden flag for are currently showing in my save dialog box (but not things starting with .). The only directories visible at that level are /Applications /Library /System /Users.  However, ~/Library is hidden.
>
> Info at https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/FileManagement/Conceptual/FileSystemProgrammingGuide/FileSystemOverview/FileSystemOverview.html sounds to me like MacOS may hide /opt by default even if doesn’t start with a /opt directory.  It’s not really clear.

I believe that /opt and certain other root directories are normally hidden unless you “show hidden files”  (also “dot” files).

This command is apparently still correct:  defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE;killall Finder

		defaults read com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles

On my iMac the Finder displays all hidden files.
However, that does NOT have any effect on the selection display from within Safari (i.e. in Trac when trying to append a file to a ticket.)

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.12
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.12

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com