libxml2 2.9.4 config error #54070 wontfix

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue May 30 20:58:55 UTC 2017

On May 30, 2017, at 4:24 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>> Another semi-weird solution would be to somehow declare a list of
>> "high priority" ports that always get updated first even if no other
>> port depends on them (either in the core or as a special keyword in
>> the Portfile).
>
> My initial impression of this idea is that I like it, for gawk, grep, gsed, and any others that are automatically searched for by default configure scripts. But remember that those ports have dependencies. Not many, but each of those dependencies would have to be handled by my previous suggestion, modifying each to ensure only the system version of those utilities is used.

For this particular class of problems (autoconf picking up gawk/gsed, etc.) base could populate the environment with the system awk/sed etc. (ie base could do what the APR port does with configure.env).

Or, base could auto-add these soft dependencies for anything that does the 'normal 'configure' phase.

--
Daniel J. Luke