ssh-agent no longer being started

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 22:44:56 UTC 2017

Hi,

I've grown accustomed to be able to call `ssh-add -A` periodically to import all certificates stored in my keychain into a running ssh-agent instance that I didn't have to start. After a forced reboot last Friday (the system had been up for 94 days) I find that ssh-agent no longer starts.

Would anyone have an idea how this is normally started and how I could best fix this? I played with /System/Library/LaunchAgents/org.openbsd.ssh-agent.plist but that doesn't actually start ssh-agent.

I do have a SSH_AUTH_SOCK var in the launchctl env, but it points to a socket that's used only by launchd itself and by gpg-agent . I see that gpg-agent is started from ${prefix}/etc/LaunchAgents/org.macports.gpg-agent/org.macports.gpg-agent.plist, which also sets SSH_AUTH_SOCK . When I remove that Sockets key from that launchd plist, ssh-agent functionality is restored.

I don't know how to test if that interferes with gpg-agent functionality, but supposing gpg-agent can use the SSH_AUTH_SOCK variable set via the ssh-agent plist, one could use the OtherJobEnabled key to make the gpg-agent plist depend on the ssh-agent plist.

Thanks!

R.