MacPorts installation processes

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 06:45:46 UTC 2017

On 11 November 2017 at 01:58, db wrote:

> I installed master from past 11th of October. If there were a 2.4.3 release, could I upgrade to it, or only just 2.5.x? I ask because I noticed port version returns 2.4.99.

No. Since you have "2.4.99" now, going to 2.4.3 would be downgrading
rather than upgrading. You can only upgrade to 2.5.0 or higher.

Immediately after the release this might theoretically be possible,
but as time goes by and new features are added to master, the database
is no longer compatible. Functionality to upgrade is always added, but
functionality to downgrade is not. You could probably keep the binary
archives and/or follow migration instructions, but you cannot simply
hot-replace one version with an older one. The packages are ok, the
database of packages is usually not.

Mojca