What happened to qt4-mac's qmake utility (re High Sierra v. Lion)?

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 03:36:14 UTC 2017

I have been setting up a new MacBook Pro 13-inch with High Sierra.
Macports is building and running fine with qt4-mac, kdegames4 and kmymoney4
requested and a long list of dependencies installed.

Now I am trying to resurrect some of the KDE 4 source-code and applications
I used to work on when I was a KDE developer. I brought across a bunch of source
from my old MacBook Pro (2011 vintage and using Lion). But when I went to build
it CMake failed during its checks of the software and hardware environment, which
it does before starting to generate a makefile and build.

Specifically, CMake could not find qmake, Qt’s utility for generating builds. Using
“port contents” I found that qt4-mac @4.8.7_5 has qmake installed at /opt/local/bin
on Lion, but on High Sierra it is at /opt/local/libexec/qt4/bin, which is not in my $PATH.

So why has qmake moved?

And what should I add to my $PATH, /opt/local/libexec/qt4/bin? Or would /opt/local/libexec
be enough (and more general)? Or perhaps CMake needs some option?

All the best, Ian W.