Uninstall a port and ONLY THAT PORT's dependencies?

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Mon Oct 2 22:47:52 UTC 2017

On Sun, 1 Oct 2017, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>> Err, I'd be wary of that on my box.  The output includes things like
>> "xv", "aspell", "awstats", "enscript", "gdb", "groff", "gzip" etc (and
>> that's just a start).
>>
>> Yeah, I can set them as requested, but why so many of them?  I might
>> miss a few, and delete something I wanted.
>
> I don't know what to tell you. As far as MacPorts knows, you did not
> request the installation of those ports, and nothing you've installed
> declares a library or runtime dependency on them, so it's safe to
> uninstall them. If you actually want any of those ports specifically,
> use "sudo port setrequested" to inform MacPorts of that desire.

Then MacPorts is plainly wrong, so you could start by admitting that
MacPorts may have a problem here.

I most certainly *did* get them from MacPorts; where else would I have
found them?  And it most certainly is *not* safe to remove them, because
I use them all the time (why else would I install them?).

In other words, I appear to have stumbled across an obscure MacPorts bug,
yet not having enough information on hand to be able to report it
properly; I merely pointed out that your claim is demonstrably incorrect.

I seem to recall pointing out another MacPorts glitch, whereby some files
suddenly disappeared after an update; I never did figure out why, but it
never happened again.

I may be fairly new to the Mac world (hence I religiously do everything by
the book), but I do have over 40 years experience of bug-hunting.