cannot sync - pulling is not possible because you have unmerged files

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Oct 10 15:49:59 UTC 2017

On 2017-10-10 17:05, db wrote:
> On 10 Oct 2017, at 15:17, Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> So one or more of those modifications are your problem. The modifications in your checkout conflict with something coming in from the sync. You need to resolve these conflicts before trying again.
>
> I didn't modify the checkout: I installed base from source four days ago, synced, upgraded and now cannot sync. I installed that same source on a VM and it syncs normally. I don't know why git status is listing those modifications.

Check the permissions of the ports tree and the .git subdirectory. Make
sure everything is owned by the same user, as MacPorts will drop to that
to run the sync operation. Maybe git was not able to check out new files
due to a permission problem? Although I would have expected an error on
an earlier sync in this case.

I guess other than that it is no longer possible to find out what left
these modified and untracked files causing the conflict.

To get rid of these changes, first reset all modified files to the
version of the latest commit and remove all untracked files. Run the
following commands as the owner of the ports tree:

  git reset --hard
  git clean --force

Be aware that all local modifications will be lost with these commands.

Rainer