High Sierra and MacPorts

ftp83plus gestos at ftp83plus.net
Tue Oct 10 20:25:12 UTC 2017

I won’t criticise the typos after reading my own grammar…;-)

As for the processes, I often see kernel_task taking a rather large chunk of CPU. At the moment it’s hovering around 27%, but that’s an exception rather than the rule. Most of the time it’s just Firefox eating about 20% CPU doing nothing else than keeping 30-40 tabs open (found out by trial-and-error it takes more CPU to reload them when clicked (Autounload tab add-on) than it does keeping them loaded (now RAM isn’t too scarce).

I tried to reinstall from scratch a few weeks ago, restoring only the documents, configured the rest, to no avail.

On the hardware side, I re-seated the heatsink, after cleaning the old thermal paste and put new one (G751). Of course I removed the dust bunnies :) That was about 6 months ago.

Still, even with a relatively low temperature (65C-so) the fan spins loudly, reaches max speed at 70C (read from CPU diode with Macs Fan Control. What is strange is the speed doesn’t seem to be directly linked to the temperature.