High Sierra and MacPorts

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 12 12:06:13 UTC 2017

On Oct 12, 2017, at 07:02, db wrote:

> On 12 Oct 2017, at 12:51, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-users/2017-September/043743.html
>> The High Sierra buildbot worker is still busy building ports. If you want to have a higher probability that you can receive binaries from us, instead of having to build from source, don't upgrade yet. Same goes for High Sierra-specific build failures of specific ports that we haven't fixed or even discovered yet. If you want a higher probability that we find and fix those problems, wait.
>
> In which order is the High Sierra buildbot building the binaries?

As changes are committed to them. When there is a lull, we manually schedule batches of ports. The method of choosing which ports to schedule is somewhat undefined. If there is a port you would like to have built, let me know and I'll schedule it. For the past several days, it has been busy building all python modules.

> How long does it take for all ports to build, in case it's set to do so?

We do not have an easy way to schedule a build of all ports right now. And if we attempted to do so, it would take several weeks to do.

I'm writing a longer email about this topic and some of the difficulties, which will be posted on the macports-dev mailing list shortly.