macports owns my user folder in most of my backups

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Oct 16 19:56:03 UTC 2017

On Oct 15, 2017, at 16:53, db wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2017, at 23:16, Lenore Horner wrote:
>> On Oct 15, 2017, at 03:28, db wrote:
>>> Check this post for some background, https://lists.macports.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2017-September/036431.html.
>> Well that tells me what probably happened but unfortunately leaves me clueless about how to fix or get around the problem.  Is there a way to log onto my machine as the macports user so that my backup thinks I own the files?  Or is that user not going to be able to open folders owned by system?

No, you cannot log on as the macports user. Can't really offer further guidance; don't understand how you got into this situation.

>> At the moment, even using sudo from the command line will not let me see the contents of my backed-up user directories.

I don't understand how that's possible, since sudo lets you do anything, as long as it's not prohibited by SIP, and I didn't think seeing lists of files was prohibited by SIP.