Trouble getting Portfiles and updating my system after "successful installation"

Patrick Hinkle avmac1983 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 14:09:08 UTC 2017

I installed MacPorts successfully and got the following Terminal statement:

Congratulations, you have successfully installed the MacPorts system. To
get the Portfiles and update the system, add /opt/local/bin to your PATH
and run:

sudo port -v selfupdate

I have tried many Terminal commands using the PATH environment variable
like:

PATH=$PATH:~/opt/local/bin

which gives me the following error:

Bad : modifier in $ (~).

and many other similar forms of error.

It is only the first step mentioned above that I can't quite figure out -
to get the Portfiles.

I should also mention that I have downloaded MacPorts before a few years
ago. If this is what's causing me to not get these Portfiles I would
appreciate any information on how to deal with this problem.

Thanks,

Patrick