Upgrade to apache2 How To

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Sat Oct 21 02:10:26 UTC 2017

Noting that the document had not been updated in 2 years,
I inserted the “Notes” from the port file for Apache2 into the beginning of the HowTo document: “ How to setup Apache2"
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/Apache2

Nothing fancy — I just added a dated note under “Versions."

One would assume that some significant changes to the document will be needed, minimally to account for the changes in file locations.
Similarly, I assume that the MMAP document will need to be updated as well.

———————<cut here>------------
October 2017 - Apache 2.4.x

In October of 2017 Apache 2.2.x was upgrade to Apache 2.4.x. This involved a significant set of changes as listed in the Notes of the portfile:

Apache2 has been migrated from the 2.2.x to the 2.4.x branch.

The install paths have been changed to no longer violate the MacPorts mtree:

	• The binaries are now under /opt/local/sbin/ (rather than under /opt/local/apache2/bin/)
	• The configure files are now under /opt/local/etc/apache2/ (rather than under /opt/local/apache2/conf/)
	• The modules are now under /opt/local/lib/apache2/modules/ (rather than under /opt/local/apache2/modules/)
	• The web root is now located under /opt/local/www/apache2/html/ (rather than under /opt/local/apache2/htdocs/)
	• The cgi-bin is now located under /opt/local/www/apache2/cgi-bin/ (rather than under /opt/local/apache2/cgi-bin/)
	• The logs are now located under /opt/local/var/log/apache2/ (rather than under /opt/local/apache2/logs/)
	• The manual is now located under /opt/local/www/apache2/manual/ (rather than under /opt/local/apache2/manual/)
	• The manual (man) pages are still at /opt/local/share/apache2/man/
You can move your htdocs and cgi-bin to the new locations, or edit /opt/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf to point at the old locations.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.13
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.13

magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com