switching between x11 and quartz

Langer, Stephen A. (Fed) stephen.langer at nist.gov
Sat Oct 28 18:06:08 UTC 2017

Stow uses symlinks to make it easy to uninstall packages.  There's even a port for it.  I highly recommend it.

I'm going ahead and trying the stow approach for the two MacPorts installations.  I'll let you know what happens.  The instructions for creating a second installation already suggest setting "startupitem_install no" even when not using symlinks, so that's what I'm doing.

 -- Steve

On 10/27/17, 8:33 PM, "Ryan Schmidt" <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

    On Oct 27, 2017, at 09:14, Langer, Stephen A. (Fed) wrote:

    > Would it work to use stow to switch between two versions installed in /opt/local/stow/ports-x11 and /opt/local/stow/ports-quartz?   I guess I'd also need a stow directory in /Applications or /Applications/MacPorts.  Does macports install anything outside of /opt/local and /Applications/MacPorts?   Will anything in macports break if it's used via the  symlinks that stow sets up?

    I haven't heard of stow so I don't know if it will work. I don't know if anything will break if you use symlinks; I would expect most ports would work but some might not. Although ports should not install files outside of ${prefix}, ${applications_dir} and ${frameworks_dir}, ports are able to do so, and some do. Most notably, MacPorts base will install a launchd plist in /Library/LaunchDaemons for ports that request it, so you will have to configure your alternate MacPorts installations not to do that by setting "startupitem_install no" in macports.conf.