crash with python3.6.2 and readline

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 6 07:58:17 UTC 2017

On Sep 5, 2017, at 18:29, David Epstein wrote:

> What is the procedure for adding to bug report #54728.

Log in to our Trac with your GitHub account. This will reveal the new comment field at the bottom of the ticket which you can type into and then submit.

> Here is a summary of what happened on my machine:
>
> 1. Installed python3.6.2 without specifying a variant.
> 2. This version is stable (that is, no crash) but interaction with readline is faulty.
> 3. Installed python3.6.2 +readline.
> 4. Installed py36-readline as suggested by the installation script for the previous step.
> 5. the new version of python, in interactive mode, crashes when I type carriage return, with message like
>
> Python(21762,0x7fffb987c3c0) malloc: *** error for object 0x10d930640: pointer being freed was not allocated.
>
> 6. Interaction of readline with unix shell appears normal after call to python terminates (both variants).
>
> I have some information (file attached bu1.txt). I also attach the crash report produced by Macos (bug2.txt).
> I haven't yet collected any evidence for Point 2 above, but the fault could perhaps be demonstrated using script.
>
> What additional info would be helpful?
>
> David Epstein
> <bug1.txt><bug2.txt>

Uninstall py36-readline. Yes, python36 tells you to install it, but don't, because as you see it currently causes crashes.

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/53360