In a mess with libc++ libstdc++ and OSX 10.7.5 Lion

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 03:38:07 UTC 2017

Hi Ken,

On 14/09/2017, at 2:43 PM, Ken Cunningham wrote:
> Keeping a 10.7 machine going is always going to be more of a project than a new machine, but not necessarily hopeless. Upgrading to a Sierra machine is always the path of least resistance, if that is in your horizon. Nonetheless, there is _usually_ a way to keep your 10.7 machine running with _most_ open source software. No guarantees, though.
>
> For the simplest fix that requires the least amount of locally-built software and the least amount of time, do this:
>
> when you see a port that tells you something like:
>
> Error: akonadi does not support your selected MacPorts C++ runtime. libc++ must be selected and C++-based ports built against it.
>
> you can try the following:
>
> edit `port file akonadi` in your favourite editor, like vi or bbedit. You might need sudo.
>
> change the following line, usually near the top:
>
> PortGroup           cxx11   1.0

> PortGroup           cxx11   1.1
>
> and then hope the Gods are smiling on you. I would say there is about a 98% chance it will "just work". If it does not work, then the next option is a wholesale change to libc++, which I did in the end, and I think that works the best. But there is currently no libc++ buildbot, so you'll have to build *everything*. That will take several days (and is also not guaranteed to work).

FWIW, that did not work for me.  It caused some new tools to be installed,
such as gcc6, after I had done "port clean akonadi" and "port install akonadi",
then this time the error message was:

:info:build Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
:info:build   "std::runtime_error::runtime_error(char const*)", referenced from:
:info:build       boost::function1<void, std::string const&>::operator()(std::string const&) const in libakonadi_shared.a(akapplication.cpp.o)
:info:build ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
:info:build clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
:info:build make[2]: *** [bin/akonadi_agent_server] Error 1

but I do not understand it, not being familiar with boost etc.

As you can see from another email, I am trying Sierra on a new machine,
and that has a problem, but I still have my old machine on 10.7 Lion.

Cheers, Ian W.