port mpkg deliverables for older systems?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Sep 24 12:15:29 UTC 2017

On Sep 22, 2017, at 17:32, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> You might get this to work by setting the macosx_deployment_target in macports.conf to the minimum system you want to support.

In addition, set "buildfromsource never" so that you don't get any binaries from our server which were built with the newer deployment target. And uninstall all ports (or, at least, the port you're packaging, and all of its dependencies) so that they get rebuilt with your older deployment target.

> See <https://trac.macports.org/changeset/66924> and <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/19875> among others.
>
> Not many ports configure their patches based on macosx_deployment_target however; most use the ${os.major} which as I understand it is the build machine's OS and not set to the macosx_deployment_target. So the outcome of this is not fully certain.
>
> Safest by far is to build on a machine or a VM of the system you want to support. VMs are available all the way back to Tiger. So that might be your better option, I would think.
>
> Many on this list have been around for years and know this issue better than I do.

Yes, building on the desired minimum OS version seems like the quickest path to success.