Online MacPorts Meeting on 21st April at 13:00 UTC - suggestion

William H. Magill magill at mac.com
Sat Apr 7 12:18:31 UTC 2018

IRC is still quite popular in Europe, but is little used in the US.

One alternative to IRC is “Discord” — it has the same “type text” capabilities as IRC, but as far as I’m concerned, it is MUCH easier to use.
It also supports voice channels.

And, yes, there is a Mac client - OSX and IOS - as well as access through the browser.

https://discordapp.com

It is pitched as “for gamers,” mainly because of its voice capabilities.

> On Apr 7, 2018, at 4:31 AM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I would like to announce the first online MacPorts meeting happening
> two weeks from now, on April 21st at 13:00 - 14:00 UTC (if it takes
> much longer than one hour, we are probably doing something wrong).
>
> Many people wanted to join us at the face-to-face meeting last month,
> but could not make it, or it was too expensive to travel or ...
>
> This meeting gives you the opportunity to get involved into a lively
> discussion about MacPorts future. Some potential topics could be:
> - quick overview of the meeting in Slovenia
> - plans for MacPorts release(s)
> - website-related topics
> but I would like to open the discussion now to suggest other more
> important topics for this or one of the following meetings (if we end
> up with too many proposals, we'll just organize another meeting to
> keep this one reasonably short).
>
> We should ideally have an agenda ready two days before the meeting, so
> feel free to come up with proposals, specific questions etc.
>
> Suggestions for the best platform to use are also welcome. IRC is
> definitely one option, but some might prefer a combination of voice +
> chat? I don't expect there would be a prohibitive number of people
> participating for a voice conference.
>
> See you all in two weeks,
>    Mojca
>
> PS: Meeting notes from Slovenia can be found here:
>    https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Meetings/MacPortsMeeting2018#Sessions

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.13.4
# Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.13.4
# MacPro5,1 Quad-Core Intel Xeon [2.8 GHz - 16 GB 1066 MHz] OSX 10.13.4
magill at icloud.com
magill at mac.com
whmagill at gmail.com