Rsync and --protect-decmpfs

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Apr 13 10:33:44 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-13 11:05, Christopher Stone wrote:
> My friend's advice and a few places on the Net recommend using this switch on the Mac:
>
> --protect-decmpfs (patch by Mike Bombich of CCC fame)
>
> MacPorts rsync version 3.1.3 protocol version 31 doesn't have this option available.
>
> How desirable is this option?
>
> Is there a way to add the option when building rsync with MacPorts?
>
> If so I would expect to see a variant, but I've mostly used default ports and am uneducated about variants.
>
> I have't fooled with `make` for quite a while (preferring to let MacPorts do the dirty work for me), but I expect I can make from source if I have to.

I think you are talking about the hfs-compression.diff patch. We used to
apply this patch, but the commit [1] that removed it said that it was
marked as broken with rsync 3.1.3.

If there is a newer compatible version of that patch around somewhere we
could use that.

Rainer

[1]
https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/3b08efaebe3b7413093b981f2f4ad661d27cffac#diff-c915c59a1e788fdf85b0d74e8116b961R32