Online MacPorts Meeting on 21st April at 13:00 UTC - suggestion

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri Apr 13 11:34:25 UTC 2018

On 11 April 2018 at 17:47, Perry E. Metzger <perry at piermont.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 19:42:24 +0200 Rainer Müller <raimue at macports.org>
> wrote:
>> However, meetings on IRC are slow, as you have to wait for others to
>> type, you have no notifications whether others still have something
>> to say, etc.
>>
>> For such a scheduled meeting, I would prefer audio chat as that
>> would make the communication more direct and faster.
>
> Google Hangouts seems to work well for large groups. It also features
> video if people want that.
>
>> The other well-known option would of course be Skype. However, with
>> Skype one person would have to collect interested developers first
>> and then invite them to a group call. With Discord it seems like
>> you can just create a room that everyone can join, which would be a
>> lot simpler.
>
> Similarly, with Google Hangouts, someone can just send out a link for
> people to click on and join the chat. (They do need a Google ID I
> think, but most people seem to have one of those these days.)

If we find three volunteers (I volunteer, so only two more needed), we
could perhaps do a technology test run tomorrow at 13:00 UTC (that's
precisely 7 days earlier)
... (or at any other potentially more suitable hour depending on who
wants to participate).

We could then test:
- Hangouts
- Discord
- (potentially Skype, but it needs personal invitations etc.)
- any other video conferencing tool, in case there are better suggestions
and see which one fits best, but only if we get some proposal early enough.

We could have IRC as a backup for coordination in case of technical
problems etc.

Mojca