Compiling TeX Live on 10.5 (was: libatomic build failure 10.5/x86)

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 18:11:32 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-25, at 10:59 AM, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Michael Dickens wrote:
>> That said, on 10.6 Intel there's an issue with objc++ compiling, where the OBJCXXFLAGS requires "-fpermissive" to get over some untyped enum issues in some security framework. I had 'port' use the defaults for compiler & other settings, and with a small tweak to the Portfile the port builds correctly now. I'll do a PR for this fix soon-ish. Maybe this is the issue with GCC6?
>
> maybe, but it shouldn't spit out a "internal compiler error" but a warning/error I suppose?
>
> I'm still curious why it selects gcc6 when the port has other "preferred compilers" installed.
>
> I will try with gcc7 and clang and then in casse Mojca's suggestion.
>
> Riccardo

If you're going to help out with keeping older systems alive in MacPorts, that would be great. I can bring you up to speed on how MacPorts works behind the scenes.

But you have to be very facile at forcing different compilers as I showed you.

A very great amount of software no longer builds with MacPorts default compilers on these old systems, and you have to try different ones.  Don't have any expectations that things will go smoothly for updates. There are only a half-dozen of us who work on this, or less, and many ports may not have been tested.

gcc6 and clang-3.x are usually your go-to compilers when the default doesn't work.

We appreciate the help!!

Ken