Compiling TeX Live on 10.5 (was: libatomic build failure 10.5/x86)

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 05:52:02 UTC 2018

On 2018-04-25, at 10:33 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On 26 April 2018 at 05:38, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>>> On Apr 25, 2018, at 5:23 PM, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>>>
>>> you know, I went back and looked at my notes.
>>>
>>> I did in fact  build this with clang-3.4, but I overrode the cxx11 PG's macports-libstdc++ changes to do it. It worked fine on Intel Tiger as well. Here's the command line I used:
>>>
>>> sudo port -v install texlive-bin configure.compiler=macports-clang-3.4 configure.cxx_stdlib=libstdc++
>>>

>> I was hallucinating.  clang-3.9 did work on 10.5 Intel, but forcing the stdlib with clang-3.4 did not.
>>
>> At present, I can’t build texlive-bin on 10.4 Intel. Will see what can be done about that.
>
> Before you waste too much time on this:
> - I still claim that TeX Live 2017 should compile without C++11 by
> default when you disable dvisvgm (unless C++11 is needed because of
> dependency on icu, poppler, ... etc. which happen to need C++11 just
> because MacPorts ships the latest version of them)
> - TeX Live 2018 has basically been released, so any effort spent
> towards making TL 2017 work on those older cats should better be spent
> for the latest version
>
> Riccardo, can you please try:
>    sudo port -v build luajit configure.compiler=macports-gcc-6
> or
>    sudo port -v build luajit configure.compiler=macports-gcc-7
>
> It should potentially lead to the same issue (it doesn't fail for me
> on the latest 64-bit os though). It would be nice to isolate the
> problem and report it to GCC developers.
>
> Mojca

you'll find luajit builds OK with gcc6 on 10.4 Intel

and there is an option to do this in texlive-bin:

--with-system-luajit

that leads to an error later on when something tries to for a rebuild the internal luajit for some reason, but that is easy to patch out too...

but -- drumroll -- it still errors out after that :>

Ken