Using MacPorts "Offline"

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Feb 4 22:05:01 UTC 2018

On 2018-01-30 21:28, Jepeway, Chris wrote:
> And, of course, "port selfupdate" wants to phone home to
> rsync.macports.org <http://rsync.macports.org>, which my "banned from
> the internet" MacBook can't do.

Unfortunately, there is no alternative to this. The best option is to
use 'sudo port sync', which will only update the ports sources, but not
MacPorts itself. You will have to use the packaged installers for updates.

> Is there something I can do with "port index" that'll clear this up?
>  There seem to be indexes in the extracted ports dir:
>
> nickel% ls -ltrd /opt/local/var/macports/portdirs/ports/*dex*17*
> drwxr-xr-x  4 500  505  128 Jan 30
> 15:17 /opt/local/var/macports/portdirs/ports/PortIndex_darwin_17_i386/

This looks like the directory belongs to a user id that has no
corresponding user, which is quite strange... Did you restore this
directory from a backup or something like that? You could try to use
chown/chmod as root to give permissions to the macports user to correct
this.

If that does not help, it might even be a problem with the tarball
itself, but I have in fact never tried to sync from a local ports.tar.

Rainer