unable to find utility "mkdep"

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Feb 13 12:50:20 UTC 2018

On Feb 13, 2018, at 05:07, Jan Stary wrote:

> On Feb 13 10:08:02, miniupnp at free.fr wrote:
>> Are you sure the command line development tools from Xcode are properly
>> installed ?
>>
>> $ xcode-select -p
>
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer
>
> And indeed, mkdep is not there.
> But what does it matter:
>
>  $ which mkdep
>  /usr/bin/mkdep
>
>  $ ls -l /usr/bin/mkdep
>  -rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  18288 Jan 19 09:32 /usr/bin/mkdep
>
>  $ file /usr/bin/mkdep
>  /usr/bin/mkdep: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64
>
> Jan

/usr/bin/mkdep, like /usr/bin/clang and all the other developer tools in /usr/bin, are not the actual developer tools; they're shims that call the real executables which are located elsewhere, such as in Xcode or in the Xcode command line tools, depending on which one you have installed and selected. If the real executable doesn't exist, the shim shows you the error you're seeing. I see the same error on my system (Sierra, Xcode 9.2). I guess Apple is either deliberately or accidentally no longer providing mkdep as part of Xcode or the command line tools.