running macports along with homebrew

db iamsudo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 23:16:44 UTC 2018

On 14 Feb 2018, at 14:56, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> I'm aware of "cask" being a feature of Homebrew. If that's what you're referring to, what does the feature do / what do you want MacPorts to do in regard to this?

Manage (and here the terminology gets trickier) more generally available application bundles, from DEVONthink to ungoogled chromium.

> We will definitely never offer a user-facing feature for building the HEAD version of a port's code.

I still think the feature should be added, specially for devel ports, even if it's not supported when problems arise.

>> LinuxPorts (analog to Linuxbrew),
> What does this do / what do you want this to do?

I haven't tried it yet, but I guess I could install the same or similar set of tools using the same package manager interface.

> I see a submission for rb-vagrant; is that the same thing?
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/43225

> elasticsearch is in MacPorts.
> The submissions of logstash and kibana are here:
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/44824
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/44822

I couldn't find elasticsearch in macports. The submissions for vagrant, logstash and kibana are abandoned or work in progress since more that 3 years.