distfile downloads failing on https

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 02:04:23 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-21, at 11:14 AM, Jan Stary wrote:

>> You are done. No more circular dependency.
>
> Yes. One installation of MP depends on another installation.

That's not circular. CIrcular is when an installation of MacPorts depends on itself, and is therefore fragile. The installation of libcurl in /opt/bootstrap is fully independent of the one in /opt/local, and is not fragile.

I say this so as not to dissuade all those out there with broken MacPorts installations from using this method.

I believe it is presently the only reliable method of getting a generally working MacPorts installation that can download all distfiles on older systems until either distfile mirroring is fixed, or until we bundle in libcurl.

Ken