any users or potential uses of ogre 3d - input requested

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 19:42:09 UTC 2018

MacPorts’ old (ancient might be a better word) ogre port doesn’t build any more.

A new version is mostly done, with a nearly workable Portfile <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/53338 <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/53338>>, but I don’t use this software.

NOTE: Do not “sudo port install” this Portfile, or you’ll have a mess on your hands. It’s at the “builds, but needs the installation sorted out” stage. You can see how it works if you “sudo port -v destroot” it.

The destrooting of the software looks really messed up using the default install script.

It’s easy enough to rearrange this, but I don’t use this software. Apparently it is used in conjunction with modelling tools, and no doubt these tools have expectations about how things should be installed.

Also, I see the old ogre port took pains to install a static version of the library, which is not the MacPorts “way”.

If there is anyone who does actually use this software and has insight or thoughts into how it should most optimally be laid out, I’d like some input to finish this off for you.

If there is a macports dev who uses this software, please take it over from here if you want to.

Ken