clang-5 and -gz option

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 09:35:54 UTC 2018

Hi

I was glad to notice that clang 5 has a -gz option to generate compressed debug info, but quickly discovered that in practice this means there is either no debug information or that information isn't found (not even by lldb-5).

I'm seeing the same thing with port:clang-5 on Mac and the official packages from llvm.org on Linux. I could accept that either one platform lacks a compatible toolchain and thus don't support -gz debug info, but that it happens on both is suspicious.

Is this a bug in clang, simply an incomplete feature, or am I indeed missing toolchain components on Mac at least?

Thanks,