What's the push to require the latest Perl?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Jan 8 18:42:19 UTC 2018

On Jan 8, 2018, at 1:36 PM, Bill Cole <macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com> wrote:
> I think a better approach would be to either require the p5-foo port OR (better) require path:${perl5.lib}/Foo.pm:p5.${perl5.major}-foo or (best) create a new syntax for dependencies that check for functionality, i.e. use the return value of 'perl -e "use Foo 6.66;"' to decide whether to install p5.${perl5.major}-foo @6.66 (or greater)

or most simply:

Provide one version of perl5 (whatever the current released version of perl is). Provide p5-foo ports that build with whatever the current perl5 is. There isn't a good reason to try to support multiple versions of perl5, if we didn't try to do so we could jettison all of this complexity.

--
Daniel J. Luke